An Important Safety Message from Mayor Tim O’Brien
Dear New Britain resident,
Ø Hurricane Sandy is approaching Connecticut. This is a large, dangerous storm that will impact New Britain, for a period of 24 to 36 hours beginning Monday.
Please be advised of the following:
Ø New Britain, is expecting high winds of 40 - 60 MPH and heavy rain.
Ø Downed trees, power outages and flooding are expected with this storm.
· Due to this storm, all public and private schools will be closed on Monday and Tuesday.
· There will be no trash or recycling collection for Tuesday morning pick-up.
· The Senior Citizen Center on Pearl St. will open Monday morning at 8 am as a shelter.
Please do these things today:
• Bring inside all lawn furniture, cooking grills and trash bins.
• Be prepared to be self-sufficient in your home for 72 hours.
• Have food, water, flashlights and a battery operated radio available.
• Charge all cell phones.
• Check on elderly and at risk neighbors and relatives.
• Stay informed, listen to storm information, and please take action now.
Please remember these things for your families’ safety:
• Do not use candles for lighting, use flashlights.
• Do not use propane or charcoal grills indoors for any reason.
• Stay away from downed power lines.
• Call 860-826-3000, to report fallen trees, fallen wires and flooding.
• Call 9-1-1 for police, fire and medical emergencies.Updates will continue to be available at www.newbritainct.gov as the city continues our work for you during the storm.
Posted at Mayor Tim O'Brien's Blog